1) Cut a strip of fabric 1 1/2 inches wide. It should be longer than the opening you are sewing it to. 2) Fold the binding in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. 3) With right side of the binding facing the wrong side of the garment, stitch the binding to the edge.
Does knit binding need to be cut on the bias?
Step 1: Measure neckline and cut out knit “bias strip”
But with knits, you really just need to cut the strip of fabric you want to use in the stretchiest direction on the fabric, which is across the fabric from selvage to selvage.
How do you make binding from knit fabric?
Create the Knit Binding
Measure and cut your binding strips to be 2 inches wide. Next, heat up the iron to give them a good pressing. Lay out the binding and fold the raw edges inward, slightly overlapping and press along the whole strip. Fold again the folded edges together and press along the entire strip.
How do you cut binding?
Cutting the Bias Binding Strips. Cut off the end of the rectangle. Place your clear ruler across the shorter area of the rectangle so that it is about 0.5 inches (1.3 cm) from the edge. Then, run the rotary cutter along the edge of the ruler to cut this 0.5 in (1.3 cm) strip off of the rectangle.
Is bias binding stretchy?
Our fabulous new stretch bias binding is perfect for binding stretch fabrics. Use on jerseys, many wools and stretch cottons. Attached with a stretch stitch or a zig zag.
Can you use bias binding on stretch fabric?
Bias tapes fit around curved edges perfectly. In the case of stretch fabrics because of the inherent elasticity and in woven fabrics because they are cut on the bias (the diagonal of the fabric which is the direction with most stretch).
How do you put trim on stretch fabric?
Let us now look at the steps you will follow when sewing it on a stretch fabric.
- Step 1: Wash the Trim and the Fabric. …
- Step 2: Place the Trim on Top of the Fabric. …
- Step 3: Pin the Trim All Around the Fabric. …
- Step 4: Fold the End of the Trim Into the Fabric. …
- Step 5: Hand Baste the Trim. …
- Step 6: Sew Over the Trim.
How do you make clothes binding?
How to Make Bias Tape Binding
- Step 1 – Find the Bias. First find the bias of the fabric. …
- Step 2 – Cut Strips. Cut strips along the 45-degree bias double the width of your bias maker. …
- Step 3 – Join the Strips. Take 2 strips that have ends pointing in the same direction. …
- Step 4 – Press Open and Trim Seams.
How wide do I cut fabric for binding?
Cut strips of fabric four times wider than the desired width of the finished binding. For example, if you want a finished binding that’s 1/2 inch wide, cut strips that are 2 inches wide (1/2 inch x 4 = 2). Fold the strip in half lengthwise with the wrong sides together (see a in the following figure).